In the age of designer custom pillows, that isn’t as easy or an inexpensive option unless you can make them yourself.
Here is a project that allows you to create your own custom pillow with the designer look for a fraction of the expense.
You will also find it can be difficult to find the exact shade of a particular color to fit your personalized taste. Often times people settle for what they can find that will work instead of the color they really wanted. This project will let you use only the color of your choice in the exact shade you desire.
Directions are for two throw pillows approximately 16″ square. If you only need one cut the ribbon, fabric and trim in half. You will also use only one pillow form or half the batting.
- Sewing machine
- Needle and thread
- Approx. 18 yards of ribbon (about 2 inches wide)
- 1 yard cotton muslin (36″ X 36″)
- Batting or 2 pillow forms
- Measuring tape
- Optional-4 yards of trim
- Cut the piece of muslin into quarters measuring 17″ x 17″ each.
- Measure the ribbon and cut it into 17″ strips.
- Take one piece of muslin and lay it flat on a table.
- Take nine pieces of ribbon and lay them side by side on the piece of muslin running east to west.
- Pin the ends of the ribbon to the muslin on one side only.
- Take nine pieces of ribbon and lay them side by side on the same piece of muslin running north to south.
- Pin one end of the north to south ribbon.
- Fold back all of the north/south ribbon. (Note: You will have all of the east/west ribbon still laying across the surface of the muslin.)
- Take the first piece of north/south ribbon that is closest to the pinned end of the east/west ribbon and run the piece over and under each of the east/west ribbons.
- Pin the end.
- Take the next north/south ribbon and run it under and over opposite of the first piece. If you ran the first piece under then over, run this piece over then under.
- Pin the end.
- Repeat with the ribbon until you have filled the surface of the muslin.
- Follow steps 1 through 11 with the other three pieces of muslin and the remaining ribbon,
- Sew each muslin piece all the way around on the sewing machine using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Remove pins.
- Take two of your muslin pieces and lay them with right sides facing.
- Pin all the way around the edges.
- Sew the edges leaving a 1/2″ seam allowance all the way around leaving a 4″ opening for turning and stuffing.
- Turn the fabric right sides out.
- Stuff with batting or your pillow form
- Hand stitch the opening closed.
Trimming the pillow is optional. You can hand or machine sew on the trim around the edges. That’s it.
Options to Explore
When you get comfortable, try making different designs with your ribbon. You can alternate going over two, under one or tier the ribbon. Try using different sizes of ribbon or using different colors of ribbon on the same pillow.